Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Heatheronline.?

Last night I was on hostmonster, checking out domain names before I buy one.
I wanted something simple with my name in it, since this is my first domain name.

I looked up "Heatheronline" to see what was available. The .com suffix was already taken, even though it's a basic site that's not even in use right now. However, four are available, .org, .info, .biz, and .us. I did some research last night, and found out that both the .info and .us suffixes are available for public use, have no restrictions such as the .edu suffix for educational purposes, and .mil for military purposes. I also found out that there are new web suffixes that have recently been put in use, such as .aero for the Air Transportation industry, and .coop for co-operatives.

I will be buying my new domain name soon.

1 comment:

  1. Choosing a domain name is a stressful activity! It seems you are trying to come up with the perfect name on the spur of the moment, and the good ones are already taken. Don't forget the hyphen options: heather-online, etc.

    I've made some dumb domain name (and username) choices in my day - we all do. But remember you can always get a new one.

    Worst URLs of all time? http://www.thedigeratilife.com/blog/index.php/2006/11/03/13-worst-company-urls-ever-an-analysis/ (Warning - some are in extremely bad taste!)

    ReplyDelete